Tel Aviv is a relatively expensive city, but it is also possible to economize. Plan to spend about 1400-1600 USD per month for rent, food, independent travel, and incidental expenses. Allow about twice as much for the first couple of months to cover initial purchases. Of course, the amount you spend varies according to your personal habits, how much traveling you do, and where you eat. There are many free cultural events and the beach is free, but concerts, designer shops and eating out can add up.
Based on a survey we did amongst students we suggest you budget your money based on the following monthly estimations:
- Housing (rented room including taxes, electricity, water, cable TV and internet) 700 USD
- Transportation (based on a student bus pass and a few taxis per month) 100 USD
- Food and Meals (TAU doesn't offer meal plans) 500 USD
- School supplies and books (most books are available online) 20 USD
- Miscellaneous (including recreation, going out, clothing, etc.) 150 USD